Social Support Volunteer
Would you like to learn a thing or two from some local Gold Coast residents and share your time talking travels, languages and life with our diverse Gold Coast Seniors? You must love wanting to keep people connected to their communities and activities they enjoy most.
The I Speak Your Language Volunteer is responsible for making friendly telephone calls in another language than English to participants who are experiencing social isolation. The calls provide a consistent relationship for the participant that helps to build confidence, resilience and improves their wellbeing. Volunteers are matched to participants based on language, interests and background, as well as availability. This program is delivered in conjunction with Australian Red Cross. There is opportunity to also visit community face to face and in residential and home and community care settings. Both programs are a great opportunity to network and improve employment opportunities.
Key Responsibilities and Duties - I speak your language
- Attend Southport Red Cross call centre as rostered for a 2 hour weekly shift (approx.)
- Provide a friendly call to approximately clients (20- 30 minutes each) as rostered
- Keep records of calls made and unanswered calls
- Ensure the confidentiality of the client is maintained at all times
- Report any issues or concerns, relating to the client or service, to MCCGC/Red Cross staff
Key Responsibilities and Duties - Community Visitors Scheme
- Visit clients once a fortnight for 1-2 hours at an agreed regular time
- Be able and willing to travel to clients' homes or residential facilities
- Report to coordinator on the number of visits and debrief after each visit
- Ensure the privacy, confidentiality and dignity of community is maintained at all times
- Current Driver's License